This series takes the Developers Journals and gives you a run down of the key information covered. It gives you all the facts in easy to digest bullet points, no nonsense, if you want discussion then you are going to have wait for the Journal Discussed which will hit later in the week.
Chronicles of Elyria’s has death, in many different forms, with varying effects. If you are getting a bit confused about how it all works then this is the Developer Journal is for you Incapacitation, Spirit Walking, and Permadeath. Want to read the whole thing it is up on MMORPG.com now or the abridged version is below.
Versions of Death
There are three forms of “death” in Chronicles of Elyria – Incapacitation, Spirit Walking and Perma Death.
- This is the most common form of death in the game, and most NPCs will only aim to incapacitate you.
- Once a character reaches zero health they lose consciousness and are presented with a black screen showing a timer counting down to when they will awake.
- While you cannot see anything while unconscious you can still hear what is going on around you.
- Incapacitating another player is often illegal. There are some situations where this is not the case however, they will be revealed at a later date.
- While incapacitated another player, or extremely evil NPC, may choose to perform a coup de grace and separate your spirit from your body which causes you to Spirit Walk.
- Your soul is sent to the astral plane where you must then hunt for your body by following a silver thread which guides you.
- The visibility of the thread is governed by how much spirit you have left, the more spirit the more clearly it will guide you.
- There is a time limit on how long you have to find your body in the astral plane before you can no longer revive, causing perma-death.
- The time limit is governed by your character age, the younger you are the more time you have to find your body.
- Spirit Walking decreases your spirit, and therefore, makes it more difficult to find your body next time.
- When you return to your body you will find your character now has a visible scar they will keep for the rest of their life.
- As mentioned this will occur when you cannot find your body in time when Spirit Walking. It will be the focus of next week’s Journal.
Spirit Bonuses and Talents
- If members of your family are near to your body you will have slightly more time to find it and the thread guiding you to your body will be stronger.
- If your soul-mate is near your body you will not gain any extra time but the thread will be very easy to see.
- Talent: Mediums – If a player with the Medium talent is brought to your body quickly they can make the thread between your soul and body more visible.
- Talent: Plane Walker – If they are near your body they can come into the Astral Plane and guide you and aid you in any obstacles you encounter. This is a very rare talent.
Actions and Looting
- While Incapacitated other players can perform the following actions:
- Quick Loot – Take any money you are carrying and any items in their hands, including animal reins.
- Bind you for capture.
- Move your body a short distance.
- While Spirit Walking other players can perform an Inventory Loot, which includes the following actions:
- Anything they could while you are incapacitated.
- Swords, scabbards, jewellery and the like can be removed.
- You can take items from their backpack.
- If they come across your corpse, a player can be Corpse Loot it. This comprises:
- Anything they could while you were spirit walking.
- Take all items from the corpse, not just limited to the items the character is wearing.
So there we have it. If you are looking for some fun read the whole post over on MMORPG.com and then join us over on the official forums to hunt for the clue that is hidden within for an, as yet, unannounced feature! Oh and come back later in the week for some discussion.